In an emergency


In an emergency you should always call 999

999 should only be used when:

  • there is a danger to life or risk of injury being caused, such as a serious road accident or assault
  • a crime is in progress, such as a robbery, burglary or theft, and the offender is still on the scene or has only just left the area
  • the immediate attendance of a police officer is necessary - such as where someone is acting suspiciously and obviously about to commit a crime

Dialling 999 from a mobile phone

Callers who use mobile phones to dial 999 should be aware that due to the different base stations used by phone companies, the call may be answered by a police operator in another part of the country. If you have to make an emergency call from a mobile phone please tell the operator immediately where you are phoning from so that your call is dealt with by the appropriate police force.

Textphone users - emergencies: 18000

For incidents that require an immediate police response. An operator will make a 999 call on your behalf.

If there is not an emergency call 101

101 should be used for non-emergencies such as:

  • reporting a crime that has happened and is not currently in progress
  • contacting local officers
  • getting crime prevention advice
  • making us aware of policing issues in your local area
  • making an appointment with a police officer
  • for any other non-emergency

Avon and Somerset Constabulary website

Freshford Neighbourhood Watch covers over 250 properties. Please send your details to the Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator using the Contact Us page, and your local NW Contact will be in touch.


In an emergency call 0800 111 999

Can you smell gas?  Feeling ill? Headaches... nausea... dizziness? Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas boilers, cookers and fires can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning.

In a gas emergency act quickly and take the following safety steps:

  • Get fresh air immediately. Open all doors and windows to ventilate the room 
  • Switch off the appliance and do not use it again until it has been checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer
  • Turn off the gas supply at the mains 
  • Call the National Gas Emergency number (see above)
  • If you are feeling ill, visit your GP or the hospital immediately and tell them that your symptoms may be related to carbon monoxide poisoning.
  • Contact a Gas Safe registered engineer to check and fix the appliance.


In an emergency call 0845 600 4 600

For further advice visit Wessex Water .


In an emergency call 0800 072 7282

Use this number to report a power cut or a dangerous situation

For tips on safe use of electricity in the home, visit the Electrical Safety Council

Local Council

To report an issue to B&NES visit