posted 7 Jul 2015, 02:14 by Parish Council Communications
The Great Western Mainline is being electrified as part of the route modernisation programme.
From summer 2017 passengers will benefit from:
- New electric intercity trains
- More reliable journeys thanks to upgraded signalling
- Longer and wider platforms with reduced gap
- Reduced carbon emissions
- A greener, quieter service with more seats and tables for rail users
For a period of 6 weeks from 18th July 2015 there will be a rolling programme of train service changes but there will still be direct trains running to Bristol, Cardiff and London via Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway. Please see the details below for an overview of key service changes. Bath Spa station and the surrounding areas remain open for business throughout the works.
Phase One: 18th – 31st July 2015
- Trains between Chippenham and Bath diverted
- 1 train per hour Chippenham to London
- 1 train per hour Bath to London
- Services from Westbury, Warminster, Weymouth and Portsmouth Harbour to Bristol and Cardiff Central will be unaffected but subject to some minor alterations.
Phase Two: 1st – 31st August 2015
- All lines to the east of Bath will be closed.
- Intensive road service from Bath to Westbury for trains to Salisbury, Southampton, Portsmouth and Weymouth
- 3 trains per hour from Bath to London or Cardiff/Gloucester via Bristol Temple Meads.
If you are planning to travel during this period you are strongly advised to check the First Great Western website
for up-to-date information.
To summarise the local impact:
- 18th - 31st July, trains through Freshford Station largely unaffected (though check for minor alterations)
- 1st - 31st August, no passenger trains through Freshford Station (rail replacement bus service in operation)
- WARNING - Although passenger trains will be suspended during August, there will be extensive use of the track by rail vehicles connected with the electrification works. These will not be operating to a timetable so, if anything, the track will be more dangerous than under normal operating conditions.